This was a piece I threw on the wheel that I decided to use as my sgraffito piece. I had to paint over this piece with purple glaze and then scrape off the design I sketched previously. I thought it was fairly easy but it was stressful that if you messed up it could not be replaced and I did it freehand. I think my piece was very successful for my first time and the only thing I would change is to make it more detailed or a bigger design. The process was something that I would want to do again.
This tray set is for my mother for Mothers Day that is for her desk at work. I made a cup used to hold pencils and pens and a small boat shaped piece for her to hold candy. I came up with this idea because Mother's Day was coming up and my mom wanted more clay pieces that I made. I used the wheel to make the cup and I used a slab of clay to make the small candy container. The hardest part with the cup was to make the top even and symmetrical. The candy container was folded in a way that looked like a boat so it would face my mom.
For my paper mache project I was starting to do a penguin. Parts of my piece that was successful was the feet and wings. I also had a very thick and hard mache which was the perfect texture for the project and it had the right amount of layers. I think it had potential but I did multiple things wrong that I wish I could go back and do. When doing the paper mache one thing that I did wrong was I popped the balloon too soon. It was bumpy and I couldn't just sand it away. I think that was my biggest difficulty trying to get rid of the bumps. If we continued the project I would have just done the balloon part again. I didn't finish because I did not think it was good and I would have had to start over on the body.
To throw, first you have to knead the clay into a ball. Then you throw it into the center of the wheel, you stick it to the wheel, and then you center it by locking your elbows, pushing down, and spinning it. Then you stick your thumbs in to make a hole however you like and you can make it higher by more pressure.
Difficulties I had on the wheel were basically everything. Katie Kaznowski helped me with a lot and you did too. I needed help centering it and making sure the top wasn't floppy. What was successful was the finished project. I couldnt have done it alone but with help I made a good piece that ended up being my sgraffito piece.
Pit firing is the original form of "baking clay". It is done in a pit in the ground where pots are burned inside. We made our clay pieces and wrapped them up in chemicals and objects that would burn easy and then wrapped our piece in foil. We had to leave a little space for air and we burned it on a sunday.
I feel like my piece was very successful and the only thing I would change is to make it bigger. I also might add more items to burn or use chemicals to make the pot change different colors.
I started off by making a base for the shoe and then continued to build up. My shoe was duck boots so I knew it had to be tall. I would crumple up paper and then put a flat piece of note card to flatten it and then tape it up. For my laces I folded tape and just taped it on top.
The most successful part of my piece was the tongue part of it. I taped two pieces to the side to give it a more realistic look. My least successful part was the front of the shoe. It was not as smooth as I wanted it to be and I would have been more careful doing it if I did again.
The material I had was a frame. Coming up with something creative for a frame was the hardest to do. I ended up making a cute photo frame that could be used for parties. It looks like a mirror with light bulbs around it.
I also made a fire out of my frame. I had to split the wood for the fire in multiple pieces, hot glue the pieces together, melt crayons on the wood, and also rip up and fold tissue paper to illustrate flames. I think both of my pieces were very successful and creative for something as simple as a frame. The fire looks realistic and the frame looks like something that can be used for parties.
I found the glaze the most successful part of my tile piece. It was my first time working with glaze and I think it made my background look a lot better. I also think for my tile piece the risen flower petals was the best because it made it more realistic. The most successful part of my cardboard piece was the elephant shape. I free-handed it and I think it made it look very symmetrical.
If I could change anything I would have fixed the swirls on my tile piece because I wanted to carve something out but I think I could have done it a lot better. For my cardboard piece I think it would be really cool if I could have done the elephant and the background with the same piece of cardboard except two. I picked nature as the subject for my tile piece and animal for my cardboard piece.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.